In the last article, we talked about the unique benefits of adding a blog to the website of a resort interested in growing their business. 

Do You Enjoy Sitting Around a Campfire?  

Of course you do. Every sense is captivated by an evening campfire: the fascination of crackling flames, perfectly roasted (or burnt) marshmallows, and the smell of the smoke lends itself to the experience. When paired with a good conversation, a campfire social can be the highlight of a summer vacation.  

If your business is centered around the tourism industry, you may be wondering how to keep these conversations alive. 

Believe it or not, the conversations begun at the campfire’s edge do continue long after summer is over – albeit digitally.

Continue Summer Conversations with Social Media

Social Media applications are aptly named.  They are hubs of creativity, conversation, and social networking.  When visitors are on resort property, it’s easy to jump into the conversation and start building rapport.  Typically it happens organically; a simple human connection.   

Good marketing is really about building and maintaining relationships. So how do you keep this conversation going after your customer’s leave without being….creepy?  Jump on the bandwagon with a professional yet informal Facebook Page as a part of your marketing and advertising strategy.    

Advertising Strategy: the Right Place at the Right Time

There are right and wrong ways to enter the conversation. The right place is on a social media platform. The right time….depends.

Here are a few examples of the wrong way to enter the conversation: 

Too Salesy: “Did you know our rooms are on sale? Did you? DID YOU KNOW THAT?”

As a general rule of thumb, only 20% of your posts should be sales-related. The other 80% should add to a conversation that is relevant to your business, but offers information or points of interest.  

Too frequent: It’s really tough to hold a group conversation when there’s someone who won’t stop blurting out comments to everything.

Don’t post too often. As a general rule of thumb, an “active” facebook page would have new posts 4-10 times per week.  Start with 2x, and grow from there when you get the feel of it.  

Too irrelevant: If your business is a resort, make sure what you post pertains somewhat to the travel industry.

A good option for a pet-related post for a resort would be “Keeping Your Pets Safe While on Vacation.” A terrible option would be sharing an article about “Healthy Food Choices for Your Dog”; the first is relevant to the tourism and vacationing industry. The second – not so much.  

The right way to add to a conversation is by taking note of what your targeted clientele (Are they retirees? Young families?) are talking about. Pitch in a relevant insightful or witty post to add to the conversation. 

Why bother?  

Why is Facebook a great, affordable option for your marketing and advertising strategy? Let’s take a look at these two facts, (provided by Facebook’s data log):

  • There are over 150 million daily active users from the US and Canada alone
  • 40% of businesses consider Facebook an important part of their advertising strategy

Chances are, many of your target clientele are on Facebook – as are your competitors.

Using Facebook properly as a part of your advertising strategy can help you connect with your summer visitors, continuing a conversation based on your common interests: _________ (fill in the blank).

 

Share this post:
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on LinkedInEmail this to someone